* [dpdk-dev] Question about bonding port promiscuous
@ 2021-10-27  3:21 Min Hu (Connor)
From: Min Hu (Connor) @ 2021-10-27  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand; +Cc: dev

Hi, David,
In function "bond_ethdev_promiscuous_disable",
for "ROUND ROBIN","BALANCE","BROADCAST","8023AD" mode, Promiscuous mode
is propagated to all slaves.

While for "ACTIVE_BACKUP", "TLB", "ALB", promiscuous mode is propagated
only to primary slave.

Why?

The second question, for "ACTIVE_BACKUP", when primary active slave
fails, a different slave becomes active, does the promiscuous mode state
of former primary should be set to the new primary?

      Hope for your reply.
      Best Wishes.
.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Question about bonding port promiscuous
@ 2021-10-27 13:47 ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2021-10-27 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Min Hu (Connor); +Cc: dev

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 5:21 AM Min Hu (Connor) <humin29@huawei.com> wrote:

> Hi, David,
> In function "bond_ethdev_promiscuous_disable",
> for "ROUND ROBIN","BALANCE","BROADCAST","8023AD" mode, Promiscuous mode
> is propagated to all slaves.
>
> While for "ACTIVE_BACKUP", "TLB", "ALB", promiscuous mode is propagated
> only to primary slave.
>
> Why?

From what I remember of the rework I did some time ago, the code was
already doing it and I did not question it.
I guess it mimicks what the Linux kernel bonding driver does.

> The second question, for "ACTIVE_BACKUP", when primary active slave
> fails, a different slave becomes active, does the promiscuous mode state
> of former primary should be set to the new primary?

IOW, setting promisc on the link that becomes primary?
If it is not done, it sounds like a bug.

--
David Marchand

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Question about bonding port promiscuous
@ 2021-10-28  2:08   ` Min Hu (Connor)
From: Min Hu (Connor) @ 2021-10-28  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand; +Cc: dev

在 2021/10/27 21:47, David Marchand 写道:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 5:21 AM Min Hu (Connor) <humin29@huawei.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, David,
>> In function "bond_ethdev_promiscuous_disable",
>> for "ROUND ROBIN","BALANCE","BROADCAST","8023AD" mode, Promiscuous mode
>> is propagated to all slaves.
>>
>> While for "ACTIVE_BACKUP", "TLB", "ALB", promiscuous mode is propagated
>> only to primary slave.
>>
>> Why?
>
>>From what I remember of the rework I did some time ago, the code was
> already doing it and I did not question it.
> I guess it mimicks what the Linux kernel bonding driver does.
>

>> The second question, for "ACTIVE_BACKUP", when primary active slave
>> fails, a different slave becomes active, does the promiscuous mode state
>> of former primary should be set to the new primary?
>
> IOW, setting promisc on the link that becomes primary?
> If it is not done, it sounds like a bug.
OK, I will try to fix it, thanks David.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Question about bonding port promiscuous
@ 2021-10-21 13:39     ` Min Hu (Connor)
From: Min Hu (Connor) @ 2021-10-21 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: Declan Doherty, Ferruh Yigit, Thomas Monjalon, David Marchand

Hi, David,