* DPDK on isolated cores but I still see interrupts
@ 2022-03-01 14:52 Antonio Di Bacco
From: Antonio Di Bacco @ 2022-03-01 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

I am trying to run a DPDK application on x86_64 Machine (Ubuntu 20.04) on
isolated cores.
I expected not to have interrupts on isolated cores but I still have a lot
of CAL (*Function call interrupts*) interrupts and LOC interrupts (*Local
timer interrupts*). Is there any setting in DPDK to stop those too?

Regards.

* RE: DPDK on isolated cores but I still see interrupts
@ 2022-03-01 15:16 ` Kinsella, Ray
From: Kinsella, Ray @ 2022-03-01 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Di Bacco, users

Can you supply “cat /proc/cmdline” please?

Ray K

From: Cliff Burdick @ 2022-03-01 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Di Bacco; +Cc: users

One thing you can try is using the irqaffinity boot parameter to force
interrupts onto your non-isolated cores: For timer interrupts you can try
running in NO_HZ_FULL mode, but that may not work if you have other
userspace processes running on those cores. It might be worth confirming
that the interrupts are actually causing noticeable problems first before
trying to move the interrupts.

@ 2022-03-01 16:37   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-03-01 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kinsella, Ray; +Cc: Antonio Di Bacco, users

On Tue, 1 Mar 2022 15:16:32 +0000
"Kinsella, Ray" <ray.kinsella@intel.com> wrote:

> Can you supply “cat /proc/cmdline” please?
>
> Ray K

Some other notes:
  - don't use CPU 0. The kernel needs/wants to run things there
  - You may need to change softirq and workqueue settings (see /sys/devices/virtual/workqueue)