* [dpdk-dev] deadline notice
@ 2015-06-10 18:39 Thomas Monjalon
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-06-10 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

As described in the roadmap (http://dpdk.org/dev/roadmap),
starting from this week,
every new feature submission will be postponed to release 2.2.
The below features, which were submitted earlier, will be accepted in
the release 2.1 if they are correctly reviewed and acknowledged before
the end of June.
New fixes and needed reworks will be accepted, of course.
During July, only important and small fixes will be integrated.

Planned features for DPDK 2.1:
	- memory size without hugepage
	- indirect mbuf cloning
	- packet type
	- memzone freeing
	- interrupt mode
	- speed capability
	- IEEE1588 timestamping
	- multicast filtering
	- flow director extension
	- ethtool-like ops
	- hash key size
	- ring hotplug
	- e1000 hotplug
	- igbvf allmulticast
	- ixgbe base update
	- ixgbe hotplug
	- ixgbe LRO
	- ixgbe extended stats
	- i40e base update
	- i40e hotplug
	- i40e port mirroring
	- i40e QinQ
	- fm10k hotplug
	- fm10k promiscuous
	- fm10k mac vlan filtering
	- mlx4 update
	- cxgbe driver
	- bnx2x driver
	- Hyper-V driver
	- Xen driver
	- vmxnet3 vlan filtering
	- vmxnet3 jumbo
	- virtio hotplug
	- vhost multiqueue
	- vhost migration
	- pcap jumbo
	- bonding hotplug
	- bonding dynamic RSS
	- bonding mode 4 external state machine
	- uio MSI-X
	- TILE-Gx architecture
	- HTM lock elision for x86
	- OSv support
	- jhash update
	- toeplitz hash
	- cuckoo hash
	- KNI optimization
	- KNI multicast
	- packet framework enhancements
	- cmdline polling mode
	- proc_info app
	- VXLAN example

Thanks a lot

* Re: [dpdk-dev] deadline notice
@ 2015-06-10 21:13 ` Abdul, Jaffar
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Abdul, Jaffar @ 2015-06-10 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, dev

HI

Is there any document which explains the features that are planned for DPDK 2.1

I am just trying to understand the some features such as KNI optimization, KNI multicast, etc.

Could you please point me to some documentation related to these features!

Thanks
Jaffar

@ 2015-06-11  1:30 ` Tetsuya Mukawa
From: Tetsuya Mukawa @ 2015-06-11  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

On 2015/06/11 3:39, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As described in the roadmap (http://dpdk.org/dev/roadmap),
> starting from this week,
> every new feature submission will be postponed to release 2.2.
> The below features, which were submitted earlier, will be accepted in
> the release 2.1 if they are correctly reviewed and acknowledged before
> the end of June.
> New fixes and needed reworks will be accepted, of course.
> During July, only important and small fixes will be integrated.
>
> Planned features for DPDK 2.1:
> 	- memory size without hugepage
> 	- indirect mbuf cloning
> 	- packet type
> 	- memzone freeing
> 	- interrupt mode
> 	- speed capability
> 	- IEEE1588 timestamping
> 	- multicast filtering
> 	- flow director extension
> 	- ethtool-like ops
> 	- hash key size
> 	- ring hotplug
> 	- e1000 hotplug
> 	- igbvf allmulticast
> 	- ixgbe base update
> 	- ixgbe hotplug
> 	- ixgbe LRO
> 	- ixgbe extended stats
> 	- i40e base update
> 	- i40e hotplug
> 	- i40e port mirroring
> 	- i40e QinQ
> 	- fm10k hotplug
> 	- fm10k promiscuous
> 	- fm10k mac vlan filtering
> 	- mlx4 update
> 	- cxgbe driver
> 	- bnx2x driver
> 	- Hyper-V driver
> 	- Xen driver
> 	- vmxnet3 vlan filtering
> 	- vmxnet3 jumbo
> 	- virtio hotplug
> 	- vhost multiqueue
> 	- vhost migration
> 	- pcap jumbo
> 	- bonding hotplug
> 	- bonding dynamic RSS
> 	- bonding mode 4 external state machine
> 	- uio MSI-X
> 	- TILE-Gx architecture
> 	- HTM lock elision for x86
> 	- OSv support
> 	- jhash update
> 	- toeplitz hash
> 	- cuckoo hash
> 	- KNI optimization
> 	- KNI multicast
> 	- packet framework enhancements
> 	- cmdline polling mode
> 	- proc_info app
> 	- VXLAN example
>
> Thanks a lot

Hi Thomas,

Please add "BSD Port Hotplug Support".
http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/project/dpdk/list/?submitter=64&state=new

Regards,
Tetsuya

* Re: [dpdk-dev] deadline notice
@ 2015-06-11  7:27 ` Simon Kagstrom
From: Simon Kagstrom @ 2015-06-11  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

Hi!

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 20:39:59 +0200
Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com> wrote:

> As described in the roadmap (http://dpdk.org/dev/roadmap),
> starting from this week,
> every new feature submission will be postponed to release 2.2.
> The below features, which were submitted earlier, will be accepted in
> the release 2.1 if they are correctly reviewed and acknowledged before
> the end of June.
> New fixes and needed reworks will be accepted, of course.
> During July, only important and small fixes will be integrated.

I didn't find this in the list:

  rte_reorder: Allow sequence numbers > 0 as starting point

and I think it would be good to have as well.

// Simon

* Re: [dpdk-dev] deadline notice
@ 2015-06-11  8:33   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-06-11  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Kagstrom; +Cc: dev

2015-06-11 09:27, Simon Kagstrom:
> Hi!
>
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 20:39:59 +0200
> Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com> wrote:
>
> > As described in the roadmap (http://dpdk.org/dev/roadmap),
> > starting from this week,
> > every new feature submission will be postponed to release 2.2.
> > The below features, which were submitted earlier, will be accepted in
> > the release 2.1 if they are correctly reviewed and acknowledged before
> > the end of June.
> > New fixes and needed reworks will be accepted, of course.
> > During July, only important and small fixes will be integrated.
>
> I didn't find this in the list:
>
>   rte_reorder: Allow sequence numbers > 0 as starting point

It was considered more or less as a fix.

> and I think it would be good to have as well.

Yes of course.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] deadline notice
@ 2015-06-11  8:34   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-06-11  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tetsuya Mukawa; +Cc: dev

2015-06-11 10:30, Tetsuya Mukawa:
> On 2015/06/11 3:39, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As described in the roadmap (http://dpdk.org/dev/roadmap),
> > starting from this week,
> > every new feature submission will be postponed to release 2.2.
> > The below features, which were submitted earlier, will be accepted in
> > the release 2.1 if they are correctly reviewed and acknowledged before
> > the end of June.
> > New fixes and needed reworks will be accepted, of course.
> > During July, only important and small fixes will be integrated.
> >
> > Planned features for DPDK 2.1:
> > 	- memory size without hugepage
> > 	- indirect mbuf cloning
> > 	- packet type
> > 	- memzone freeing
> > 	- interrupt mode
> > 	- speed capability
> > 	- IEEE1588 timestamping
> > 	- multicast filtering
> > 	- flow director extension
> > 	- ethtool-like ops
> > 	- hash key size
> > 	- ring hotplug
> > 	- e1000 hotplug
> > 	- igbvf allmulticast
> > 	- ixgbe base update
> > 	- ixgbe hotplug
> > 	- ixgbe LRO
> > 	- ixgbe extended stats
> > 	- i40e base update
> > 	- i40e hotplug
> > 	- i40e port mirroring
> > 	- i40e QinQ
> > 	- fm10k hotplug
> > 	- fm10k promiscuous
> > 	- fm10k mac vlan filtering
> > 	- mlx4 update
> > 	- cxgbe driver
> > 	- bnx2x driver
> > 	- Hyper-V driver
> > 	- Xen driver
> > 	- vmxnet3 vlan filtering
> > 	- vmxnet3 jumbo
> > 	- virtio hotplug
> > 	- vhost multiqueue
> > 	- vhost migration
> > 	- pcap jumbo
> > 	- bonding hotplug
> > 	- bonding dynamic RSS
> > 	- bonding mode 4 external state machine
> > 	- uio MSI-X
> > 	- TILE-Gx architecture
> > 	- HTM lock elision for x86
> > 	- OSv support
> > 	- jhash update
> > 	- toeplitz hash
> > 	- cuckoo hash
> > 	- KNI optimization
> > 	- KNI multicast
> > 	- packet framework enhancements
> > 	- cmdline polling mode
> > 	- proc_info app
> > 	- VXLAN example
> >
> > Thanks a lot
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Please add "BSD Port Hotplug Support".
> http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/project/dpdk/list/?submitter=64&state=new

It was not reported because they are mostly some reworks.
But you're right, hotplug in BSD is a feature.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] deadline notice
@ 2015-06-11  8:45     ` Simon Kagstrom
From: Simon Kagstrom @ 2015-06-11  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 10:33:21 +0200
Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com> wrote:

> 2015-06-11 09:27, Simon Kagstrom:
> > On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 20:39:59 +0200
> > Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com> wrote:
> >
> > I didn't find this in the list:
> >
> >   rte_reorder: Allow sequence numbers > 0 as starting point
>
> It was considered more or less as a fix.
>
> > and I think it would be good to have as well.
>
> Yes of course.

OK, thanks!

It would be good to have some sort of feedback on accepted patches
though - in addition to the above one, I also sent a build-fix

  kni: Use utsrelease.h to determine Ubuntu kernel version

which I also think would be good to have (basically, building in a
chroot is broken otherwise). I haven't had time to test the patch on
older Ubuntus though.

So, while this is an old discussion by now, I think DPDK is large
enough to warrant some more infrastructure for patch submissions - at
least in the form of build-tests for patches, and preferrably some sort
of status marker for accepted patches. Basically what Github/Travis-ci
etc already provides.

// Simon

* Re: [dpdk-dev] deadline notice
@ 2015-06-11  9:20     ` Tetsuya Mukawa
From: Tetsuya Mukawa @ 2015-06-11  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

On 2015/06/11 17:34, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 2015-06-11 10:30, Tetsuya Mukawa:
>> On 2015/06/11 3:39, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As described in the roadmap (http://dpdk.org/dev/roadmap),
>>> starting from this week,
>>> every new feature submission will be postponed to release 2.2.
>>> The below features, which were submitted earlier, will be accepted in
>>> the release 2.1 if they are correctly reviewed and acknowledged before
>>> the end of June.
>>> New fixes and needed reworks will be accepted, of course.
>>> During July, only important and small fixes will be integrated.
>>>
>>> Planned features for DPDK 2.1:
>>> 	- memory size without hugepage
>>> 	- indirect mbuf cloning
>>> 	- packet type
>>> 	- memzone freeing
>>> 	- interrupt mode
>>> 	- speed capability
>>> 	- IEEE1588 timestamping
>>> 	- multicast filtering
>>> 	- flow director extension
>>> 	- ethtool-like ops
>>> 	- hash key size
>>> 	- ring hotplug
>>> 	- e1000 hotplug
>>> 	- igbvf allmulticast
>>> 	- ixgbe base update
>>> 	- ixgbe hotplug
>>> 	- ixgbe LRO
>>> 	- ixgbe extended stats
>>> 	- i40e base update
>>> 	- i40e hotplug
>>> 	- i40e port mirroring
>>> 	- i40e QinQ
>>> 	- fm10k hotplug
>>> 	- fm10k promiscuous
>>> 	- fm10k mac vlan filtering
>>> 	- mlx4 update
>>> 	- cxgbe driver
>>> 	- bnx2x driver
>>> 	- Hyper-V driver
>>> 	- Xen driver
>>> 	- vmxnet3 vlan filtering
>>> 	- vmxnet3 jumbo
>>> 	- virtio hotplug
>>> 	- vhost multiqueue
>>> 	- vhost migration
>>> 	- pcap jumbo
>>> 	- bonding hotplug
>>> 	- bonding dynamic RSS
>>> 	- bonding mode 4 external state machine
>>> 	- uio MSI-X
>>> 	- TILE-Gx architecture
>>> 	- HTM lock elision for x86
>>> 	- OSv support
>>> 	- jhash update
>>> 	- toeplitz hash
>>> 	- cuckoo hash
>>> 	- KNI optimization
>>> 	- KNI multicast
>>> 	- packet framework enhancements
>>> 	- cmdline polling mode
>>> 	- proc_info app
>>> 	- VXLAN example
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> Please add "BSD Port Hotplug Support".
>> http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/project/dpdk/list/?submitter=64&state=new
> It was not reported because they are mostly some reworks.
> But you're right, hotplug in BSD is a feature.

Thanks!

Tetsuya

* Re: [dpdk-dev] deadline notice
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-06-11  9:30 ` Iremonger, Bernard
From: Iremonger, Bernard @ 2015-06-11  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
> this week, every new feature submission will be postponed to release 2.2.
> The below features, which were submitted earlier, will be accepted in the
> release 2.1 if they are correctly reviewed and acknowledged before the end
> of June.
> New fixes and needed reworks will be accepted, of course.
> During July, only important and small fixes will be integrated.
>
> Planned features for DPDK 2.1:
> 	- memory size without hugepage
> 	- indirect mbuf cloning
> 	- packet type
> 	- memzone freeing
> 	- interrupt mode
> 	- speed capability
> 	- IEEE1588 timestamping
> 	- multicast filtering
> 	- flow director extension
> 	- ethtool-like ops
> 	- hash key size
> 	- ring hotplug
> 	- e1000 hotplug
> 	- igbvf allmulticast
> 	- ixgbe base update
> 	- ixgbe hotplug
> 	- ixgbe LRO
> 	- ixgbe extended stats
> 	- i40e base update
> 	- i40e hotplug
> 	- i40e port mirroring
> 	- i40e QinQ
> 	- fm10k hotplug
> 	- fm10k promiscuous
> 	- fm10k mac vlan filtering
> 	- mlx4 update
> 	- cxgbe driver
> 	- bnx2x driver
> 	- Hyper-V driver
> 	- Xen driver
> 	- vmxnet3 vlan filtering
> 	- vmxnet3 jumbo
> 	- virtio hotplug
> 	- vhost multiqueue
> 	- vhost migration
> 	- pcap jumbo
> 	- bonding hotplug
> 	- bonding dynamic RSS
> 	- bonding mode 4 external state machine
> 	- uio MSI-X
> 	- TILE-Gx architecture
> 	- HTM lock elision for x86
> 	- OSv support
> 	- jhash update
> 	- toeplitz hash
> 	- cuckoo hash
> 	- KNI optimization
> 	- KNI multicast
> 	- packet framework enhancements
> 	- cmdline polling mode
> 	- proc_info app
> 	- VXLAN example
>
> Thanks a lot

Hi Thomas,

The following patch was submitted on 10th March 2015, but does not seem to be on   DPDK patchwork.

[dpdk-dev] [RFC] af_packet: support port hotplug

Regards,

Bernard.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] deadline notice
@ 2015-06-11  9:58   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-06-11  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iremonger, Bernard, linville; +Cc: dev

2015-06-11 09:30, Iremonger, Bernard:
> The following patch was submitted on 10th March 2015, but does not seem to be on   DPDK patchwork.
>
> [dpdk-dev] [RFC] af_packet: support port hotplug

Good catch. It was classified as RFC:
	http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/patch/3963/

A v2 should be sent.

Note: [RFC] should be preferred for incomplete patches or trials.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] deadline notice
@ 2015-06-11 10:04     ` Iremonger, Bernard
From: Iremonger, Bernard @ 2015-06-11 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, linville; +Cc: dev

Should RFC PATCH be retained for v2 and subsequent patches or should RFC be dropped?

Regards,

Bernard.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] deadline notice
@ 2015-06-11 11:39       ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-06-11 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iremonger, Bernard; +Cc: dev

2015-06-11 10:04, Iremonger, Bernard:
> From: Thomas Monjalon [mailto:thomas.monjalon@6wind.com]
> > Note: [RFC] should be preferred for incomplete patches or trials.
>
> Should RFC PATCH be retained for v2 and subsequent patches or should RFC be dropped?

If you target an integration of your patch, the RFC keyword must be dropped.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] deadline notice
@ 2015-06-11 14:00   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-06-11 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abdul, Jaffar; +Cc: dev

2015-06-10 17:13, Abdul, Jaffar:
> Is there any document which explains the features that are planned for DPDK 2.1
>
> I am just trying to understand the some features such as KNI optimization, KNI multicast, etc.
>
> Could you please point me to some documentation related to these features!

The authors of these proposals didn't provide documentation but you can find
some explanations in the patches:
	http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/project/dpdk/list/?q=kni