* [dpdk-dev] SRIOV mode and different RX and TX configuration
@ 2014-08-11  8:05 Wodkowski, PawelX
From: Wodkowski, PawelX @ 2014-08-11  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,
I am wondering if there is a sense in having different configuration
in for RX and TX mode in SR-IOV mode. Ex RX mode ETH_MQ_RX_NONE
and TX mode ETH_MQ_TX_VMDQ_DCB or something similar.
I am asking because in code there is no difference between number of
RX queues and TX queues reported to VF and if having different
configuration in RX and TX is possible this must be taken into account.
Paweł Wódkowski
Sii Engineer
Delivering outsourced services to Intel

* Re: [dpdk-dev] SRIOV mode and different RX and TX configuration
@ 2014-08-11  8:14 ` Zhang, Helin
From: Zhang, Helin @ 2014-08-11  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wodkowski, PawelX; +Cc: dev

Hi Pawel

Though I am not sure if understood your question, I am trying to give some comments.

Do you mean the configurable number of rx/tx queues in VF? For Niantic, hardware just supports only one queue in VF, so there is no flexibility for that. For later NICs like i40e, we will have that flexibility.

Regards,
Helin

* Re: [dpdk-dev] SRIOV mode and different RX and TX configuration
@ 2014-08-11  8:23   ` Ramia, Kannan Babu
From: Ramia, Kannan Babu @ 2014-08-11  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang, Helin, Wodkowski, PawelX; +Cc: dev

Only if you enable DCB option you will get the multiple queues per VF.

regards
Kannan Babu

@ 2014-08-11  8:30   ` Wodkowski, PawelX
From: Wodkowski, PawelX @ 2014-08-11  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang, Helin; +Cc: dev

> Do you mean the configurable number of rx/tx queues in VF? For Niantic,
> hardware just supports only one queue in VF, so there is no flexibility for that.
> For later NICs like i40e, we will have that flexibility.

Yes, you are right but only in when DCB and RSS/TSS are off. When using DCB
and/or RSS/TSS you have some number TCs/TSS pools x 1 queue.
I am asking if configuring RX side and TX side in different mode is permitted
and make sense. From Niantic datasheet I did not seen any restrictions on this.
Some part of ixgbe pmd driver code make difference in that and some don't.
I need to unify this in one direction before enabling DCB in SR-IOV mode.

Pawel