* [dpdk-users] DPDK-PKTGEN crashes when using Jumbo frame in AWS EC2
@ 2021-02-12  5:03 Anand Gupta
From: Anand Gupta @ 2021-02-12  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello All,

I'm trying to run DPDK-PKTGEN in AWS EC2 instances and able to send packets up to 1.5 KB packets.
If we use Jumbo frame packets then we are getting error "requested Tx offloads 0x8000 doesn't match Tx offloads capabilities 0xe".

Setup:
Ubuntu: 16.04
Driver: ENA 2.0.3K
DPDK: 18.11.1
PKTGEN: 3.7.1

Can anyone help me with this issue ? Is anything I'm missing ?

Thanks,
Anand

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK-PKTGEN crashes when using Jumbo frame in AWS EC2
@ 2021-02-12 13:15 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2021-02-12 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Gupta; +Cc: users

On Feb 11, 2021, at 11:03 PM, Anand Gupta <anand.gupta@keysight.com> wrote:

Hello All,

I'm trying to run DPDK-PKTGEN in AWS EC2 instances and able to send packets up to 1.5 KB packets.
If we use Jumbo frame packets then we are getting error "requested Tx offloads 0x8000 doesn't match Tx offloads capabilities 0xe".

Setup:
Ubuntu: 16.04
Driver: ENA 2.0.3K
DPDK: 18.11.1
PKTGEN: 3.7.1

[KW] Please update to the latest Pktgen 21.02.0 with the latest DPDK version. If you can’t upgrade then please look at the latest version as some work for jumbo frames has been done.

@ 2021-02-12 13:55 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2021-02-12 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Gupta; +Cc: users

> On Feb 11, 2021, at 11:03 PM, Anand Gupta <anand.gupta@keysight.com> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to run DPDK-PKTGEN in AWS EC2 instances and able to send packets up to 1.5 KB packets.
> If we use Jumbo frame packets then we are getting error "requested Tx offloads 0x8000 doesn't match Tx offloads capabilities 0xe".
>
> Setup:
> Ubuntu: 16.04
> Driver: ENA 2.0.3K
> DPDK: 18.11.1
> PKTGEN: 3.7.1

Please update to the latest Pktgen 21.02.0 with the latest DPDK version. If you can not upgrade then please look at the latest version as some work for jumbo frames was done a few months ago.

@ 2021-05-05 11:54   ` Anand Gupta
From: Anand Gupta @ 2021-05-05 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: users

Hi Keith,

I found the root cause for the problem " requested Tx offloads 0x8000 doesn't match Tx offloads capabilities 0xe" in EC2 instances.
The DPDK ENA driver does not have "DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS" TX offload capability in TX offloads capabilities and in Pktgen when Jumbo frame is enabled, the TX-offload adds " DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS".

Is "DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS" necessary when the Jumbo frame is enable in the Pktgen or can we first check if the Device supports the offload or not and then add " DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS"?

What is the mechanism of "DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS" when enabling Jumbo frames?

Thanks,
Anand
CAUTION: This message originates from an external sender.

@ 2021-05-05 12:48     ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2021-05-05 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Gupta; +Cc: users

We can try to test for Multi-segs in pktgen in the file app/pktgen-port-cfg.c you can search for MULTI_SEGS and add the test.

                        if (info->dev_info.tx_offload_capa & DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS)
                                conf.txmode.offloads |= DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS;

@ 2021-05-05 12:57       ` Anand Gupta
From: Anand Gupta @ 2021-05-05 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: users

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you explain if possible what does "DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS" do if it is used in TX-Offload ? What is the use of this in Jumbo frame scenario?

Thanks,
Anand

@ 2021-05-05 13:02         ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2021-05-05 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Gupta; +Cc: users

The DPDK code states:

#define DEV_TX_OFFLOAD_MULTI_SEGS       0x00008000 /**< Device supports multi segment send. */

That is all I know about this option, maybe someone else can explain how the drivers use this option.