* [dpdk-dev] mlx5: the default rule makes VF rep cannot get packets
@ 2019-11-25  7:27 贺鹏
From: 贺鹏 @ 2019-11-25  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev, matan, viacheslavo

Hi,

We found the patch "net/mlx5: revert default rules amount optimization",
which installs a rule directing all egress traffic from VF to table 1, results in
VF representors get no packets, even if there is no offload rules installed.

I’ve tested both l2fwd and ovs-dpdk.  However, PF rep works just fine.

We are using dpdk 19.11-rc3 for evaluation.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] mlx5: the default rule makes VF rep cannot get packets
@ 2019-11-25  7:32 ` Slava Ovsiienko
From: Slava Ovsiienko @ 2019-11-25  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 贺鹏, dev, Matan Azrad

Hi,

What OFED version do you use? Or OOB kernel driver/rdma-core?
Target table (1 in the mentioned patch) is created on the flow creation as empty one.
The default rule for the empty ingress table in FDB (transfer attribute in testpmd command)
– go to vport 0 (to wire/VF representors), it is established by kernel/rdma-core, In your setup
it does not work.

With best regards, Slava

We found the patch "net/mlx5: revert default rules amount optimization",
which installs a rule directing all egress traffic from VF to table 1, results in
VF representors get no packets, even if there is no offload rules installed.

I’ve tested both l2fwd and ovs-dpdk.  However, PF rep works just fine.

We are using dpdk 19.11-rc3 for evaluation.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [External] RE: mlx5: the default rule makes VF rep cannot get packets
@ 2019-11-25  7:43   ` 贺鹏
From: 贺鹏 @ 2019-11-25  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Slava Ovsiienko; +Cc: dev, Matan Azrad

Hi,

> 在 2019年11月25日,下午3:32,Slava Ovsiienko <viacheslavo@mellanox.com> 写道:
>
> Hi,
>
> What OFED version do you use? Or OOB kernel driver/rdma-core?

OFED 4.6-3.11.

> Target table (1 in the mentioned patch) is created on the flow creation as empty one.
> The default rule for the empty ingress table in FDB (transfer attribute in testpmd command)
> – go to vport 0 (to wire/VF representors), it is established by kernel/rdma-core, In your setup
> it does not work.

The NIC works in switchdev mode; every VF has a representer, and dpdk is polling each rep to get packets.
If I revert this patch, in the probe stage, DPDK will not install the default rule which directs packets to Table 1, and dpdk can get packets.

The target is to use dpdk as well as action offload together.

The setup code is in the function  *mlx5_flow_create_esw_table_zero_flow*.
Even for running L2FWD, I cannot get a packet from VF rep.  You mean this is a driver problem ?

@ 2019-11-25  8:28     ` Slava Ovsiienko
From: Slava Ovsiienko @ 2019-11-25  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 贺鹏; +Cc: dev, Matan Azrad

Hi,

please, see below.

[...]

I think so. If there is no any DPDK rule in Table 0, everything works OK, right?
It means the default rule (hidden from DPDK) in table 0 works, and packets go to the vport 0
(contains all representors). If we insert jump to table 1 – nothing works, it means the default
rule in table 1 fails. This one is not established by DPDK, but by the driver.

With best regards, Slava

With best regards, Slava

@ 2019-11-25  8:32       ` 贺鹏
From: 贺鹏 @ 2019-11-25  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Slava Ovsiienko; +Cc: dev, Matan Azrad, 张永肃, duanxiongchun

Hi,

I see.

I am going to try OFED 4.7 official version and see if it works.

Thanks.