* [dpdk-dev] Could not achieve wire speed for 40GE with any DPDK version on XL710 NIC's
@ 2015-06-28 10:34 Pavel Odintsov
From: Pavel Odintsov @ 2015-06-28 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello, folks!

We have execute bunch of tests for receive data with Intel XL710 40GE
NIC. We want to achieve wire speed on this platform for traffic
capture.

But we definitely can't do it. We tried with different versions of
DPDK: 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0. And have not success.

We achieved only 40Mpps and could do more.

Could anybody help us with this issue? Looks like this NIC's could not
work on wire speed :(

Platform: Intel Xeon E5 e5 2670 + XL 710.

--
Sincerely yours, Pavel Odintsov

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Could not achieve wire speed for 40GE with any DPDK version on XL710 NIC's
@ 2015-06-28 23:35 ` Keunhong Lee
From: Keunhong Lee @ 2015-06-28 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Odintsov; +Cc: dev

DISCLAIMER: This information is not verified. This is truly my personal
opinion.

As I know, intel 82599 is the only 10G NIC which supports line rate with
minimum sized packets (64 byte).
According to our internal tests, Mellanox's 40G NICs even support less than
30Mpps.
I think 40 Mpps is the hardware capacity.

Keunhong.

@ 2015-06-29  6:59   ` Pavel Odintsov
From: Pavel Odintsov @ 2015-06-29  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keunhong Lee; +Cc: dev

Hello!

Lee, thank you so much for sharing your experience! What do you think
about 40GE version of 82599?

@ 2015-06-29 15:06     ` Keunhong Lee
From: Keunhong Lee @ 2015-06-29 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Odintsov; +Cc: dev

I have not used XL710 or i40e.
I have no opinion for those NICs.

Keunhong.

@ 2015-06-29 15:38       ` Andrew Theurer
From: Andrew Theurer @ 2015-06-29 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keunhong Lee; +Cc: dev

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Keunhong Lee <dlrmsghd@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have not used XL710 or i40e.
> I have no opinion for those NICs.
>
> Keunhong.

> > Hello!
> >
> > Lee, thank you so much for sharing your experience! What do you think
> > about 40GE version of 82599?
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 2:35 AM, Keunhong Lee <dlrmsghd@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > DISCLAIMER: This information is not verified. This is truly my personal
> > > opinion.
> > >
> > > As I know, intel 82599 is the only 10G NIC which supports line rate
> with
> > > minimum sized packets (64 byte).
> > > According to our internal tests, Mellanox's 40G NICs even support less
> > than
> > > 30Mpps.
> > > I think 40 Mpps is the hardware capacity.

​This is approximately what I see as well.  ​

> > > Keunhong.

> > --
> > Sincerely yours, Pavel Odintsov

​-Andrew​

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Could not achieve wire speed for 40GE with any DPDK version on XL710 NIC's
@ 2015-06-29 15:41         ` Pavel Odintsov
From: Pavel Odintsov @ 2015-06-29 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Theurer; +Cc: dev

Hello, Andrew!

What NIC have you used? Is it XL710?

--

@ 2015-07-01 12:06           ` Vladimir Medvedkin
From: Vladimir Medvedkin @ 2015-07-01 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Odintsov; +Cc: dev

Hi Pavel,

Looks like you ran into pcie bottleneck. So let's calculate xl710 rx only
case.
Assume we have 32byte descriptors (if we want more offload).
DMA makes one pcie transaction with packet payload, one descriptor
writeback and one memory request for free descriptors for every 4 packets.
For Transaction Layer Packet (TLP) there is 30 bytes overhead (4 PHY + 6
DLL + 16 header + 4 ECRC). So for 1 rx packet dma sends 30 + 64(packet
itself) + 30 + 32 (writeback descriptor) + (16 / 4) (read request for new
descriptors). Note that we do not take into account PCIe ACK/NACK/FC Update
DLLP. So we have 160 bytes per packet. One lane PCIe 3.0 transmits 1 byte
in 1 ns, so x8 transmits 8 bytes  in 1 ns. 1 packet transmits in 20 ns.
Thus in theory pcie 3.0 x8 may transfer not more than 50mpps.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
Vladimir

@ 2015-07-01 12:44             ` Pavel Odintsov
From: Pavel Odintsov @ 2015-07-01 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Medvedkin; +Cc: dev

Thanks for answer, Vladimir! So we need look for x16 NIC if we want
achieve 40GE line rate...

@ 2015-07-01 12:59               ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2015-07-01 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Odintsov; +Cc: dev

On Wed, Jul 01, 2015 at 03:44:57PM +0300, Pavel Odintsov wrote:
> Thanks for answer, Vladimir! So we need look for x16 NIC if we want
> achieve 40GE line rate...

Note that this would only apply for your minimal i.e. 64-byte, packet sizes.
Once you go up to larger e.g. 128B packets, your PCI bandwidth requirements
are lower and you can easier achieve line rate.

/Bruce

@ 2015-07-01 13:05                 ` Pavel Odintsov
From: Pavel Odintsov @ 2015-07-01 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

Yes, Bruce, we understand this. But we are working with huge SYN
attacks processing and they are 64byte only :(

--

@ 2015-07-01 13:40                   ` Vladimir Medvedkin
From: Vladimir Medvedkin @ 2015-07-01 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Odintsov; +Cc: dev

In case with syn flood you should take into account return syn-ack traffic,
which generates PCIe DLLP's from NIC to host, thus pcie bandwith exceeds
faster. And don't forget about DLLP's generated by rx traffic, which
saturates host-to-NIC bus.

@ 2015-07-01 14:22                     ` Anuj Kalia
From: Anuj Kalia @ 2015-07-01 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Medvedkin; +Cc: dev

Vladimir,

Few possible fixes to your PCIe analysis (let me know if I'm wrong):
- ECRC is probably disabled (check using sudo lspci -vvv | grep
CGenEn-), so TLP header is 26 bytes
- Descriptor writeback can be batched using high value of WTHRESH,
which is what DPDK uses by default
- Read request contains full TLP header (26 bytes)

Assuming WTHRESH = 4, bytes transferred from NIC to host per packet =
26 + 64 (packet itself) +
(26 + 32) / 4 (batched descriptor writeback) +
(26 / 4) (read request for new descriptors) =
111 bytes / packet

This corresponds to 70.9 Mpps over PCIe 3.0 x8. Assuming 5% DLLP
overhead, rate = 67.4 Mpps

--Anuj

@ 2015-07-01 17:32                       ` Vladimir Medvedkin
From: Vladimir Medvedkin @ 2015-07-01 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anuj Kalia; +Cc: dev

Hi Anuj,

Thanks for fixes!
I have 2 comments
- from i40e_ethdev.h : #define I40E_DEFAULT_RX_WTHRESH      0
- (26 + 32) / 4 (batched descriptor writeback) should be (26 + 4 * 32) / 4
(batched descriptor writeback)
, thus we have 135 bytes/packet

This corresponds to 58.8 Mpps

Regards,
Vladimir

@ 2015-07-01 18:01                         ` Anuj Kalia
From: Anuj Kalia @ 2015-07-01 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Medvedkin; +Cc: dev

Thanks for the comments.

@ 2015-07-03  8:35                           ` Pavel Odintsov
From: Pavel Odintsov @ 2015-07-03  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anuj Kalia; +Cc: dev

Hello, folks!

We have found root of issue.

Intel do not offer wire speed for 64b packets in XL710 at all.

As mentioned in data sheet
http://www.intel.ru/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/xl710-10-40-gbe-controller-brief.pdf
we have:

Small packet performance: Maintains wire-rate throughput on smaller
payload sizes (>128 Bytes for 40 GbE and >64 Bytes for 10 GbE

Could anybody recommend NIC's which could truly achieve wire rate for 40GE?