DPDK community structure changes
* [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
@ 2017-01-11 12:21 Vincent JARDIN
From: Vincent JARDIN @ 2017-01-11 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Dolan; +Cc: O'driscoll, Tim, moving

Mike,

Following yesterday's call, the LF's website
   https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/bylaws
includes the fees.

Platinum
     US$ 500,000
Gold
     US$ 100,000
Silver
     US$ 20,000 (employee size greater than 5,000)
     US$ 15,000 (employee size between 500 and 4,999)
     US$ 10,000 (employee size between 100 and 499)
     US$ 5,000 (employee size <100)

There is no option for individuals (I do not know it it makes sense).

It is understood that there are three annual fees for DPDK to be cumulated:
   -   Annual's LF fee (see the bylaws)
   - + Annual's DPDK fee (TBD for both levels)
   - + Annual's DPDK lab fee (TBD)
  (- + DPDK events)

Feel free to correct if I am mis-interpreting something.

Thank you,
   Vincent

* Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
@ 2017-01-11 15:12 ` Michael Dolan
From: Michael Dolan @ 2017-01-11 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent JARDIN; +Cc: O'driscoll, Tim, moving

Hi Vincent, there's the Annual LF membership fee and the Annual DPDK
participation fee. If a company is already an LF member, then there's no LF
membership fee and it's just the annual DPDK participation fee.

As I understand it there's been discussion that the DPDK Governing Board
might want to setup a test lab. I have no idea what the requirements or
cost of that would be and if it would be managed by a member (or members)
or the LF. Some projects have a member who steps up to run infrastructure
for a project, and some want it in the community's control. We don't care
where/how it's done but if the LF is asked to do it, we have to cover our
costs.

Regarding a lab, this group should also consider that FD.io already has a
test lab that does what I'm guessing the DPDK community wants - it would
seem to me a huge waste to have largely the same companies setup two labs
doing the same thing. This was a big part of my original suggestion of just
working on DPDK under FD.io, but as I understand it some were uncomfortable
with that. I'm not aware of the issues, but objectively looking at this
from a distance I still think that would be a very wise option to consider.
The infrastructure, the organization, funding and membership are already
there and I think DPDK could operate fairly well on its own with perhaps
some changes to the technical governance if there are concerns. I'll leave
my suggestion at that for now, but I know the people funding these projects
are not going to be pleased to hear they're being asked to fund two nearly
identical projects. If not merging the projects, then perhaps consider at
least splitting the cost of infrastructure or a test lab...

As for events, if the Governing Board decides to host an event, some
projects pay for events out of the membership fees and that's it, some have
sponsorships or attendance fees. That's all up to the group that makes the
decision.

The LF has no individual "membership". We have individual supporters (
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/members/individual-supporters) but that's
not the same as the legal standing of a member. We do also have an
associate membership for nonprofits, government agencies, and education
institutions.

I hope this helps clarify,

Mike

---
Mike Dolan
VP of Strategic Programs
The Linux Foundation
Office: +1.330.460.3250   Cell: +1.440.552.5322  Skype: michaelkdolan
mdolan@linuxfoundation.org
---

@ 2017-01-17 14:16   ` Jaswinder Singh
From: Jaswinder Singh @ 2017-01-17 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Dolan, Ed Warnicke (eaw)
  Cc: O'driscoll, Tim, moving, Vincent JARDIN

Ed,

Do you see any issues in DPDK-project re-using FD.IO …Lab/CI infrastructure.

This can save some dollars for all the participating companies.

-Jaswinder

[...]

mdolan@linuxfoundation.org<mailto:mdolan@linuxfoundation.org>
---

@ 2017-01-17 20:10     ` Ed Warnicke
From: Ed Warnicke @ 2017-01-17 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaswinder Singh
  Cc: Michael Dolan, Ed Warnicke (eaw),
	O'driscoll, Tim, moving, Vincent JARDIN

Jaswinder,

The fd.io infrastructure is for use by fd.io projects.

DPDK would be welcome as a fd.io project.

If the goal is for DPDK to move somewhere neutral and open with best of
breed governance and resourcing for open CI then becoming a fd.io project
might be the simplest route.   Most of the participants in discussions
around DPDK moving are already fd.io members.

fd.io’s governance is compatible with what we have been discussing.  Should
DPDK join fd.io it would, as all fd.io projects, maintain its own internal
technical governance.

Ed

@ 2017-01-17 22:28       ` O'Driscoll, Tim
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2017-01-17 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Warnicke, Jaswinder Singh
  Cc: Michael Dolan, Ed Warnicke (eaw), moving, Vincent JARDIN

> From: Ed Warnicke [mailto:hagbard@gmail.com]
>
> Jaswinder,
>
> The fd.io infrastructure is for use by fd.io projects.
>
> DPDK would be welcome as a fd.io project.
>
> If the goal is for DPDK to move somewhere neutral and open with best of breed governance and resourcing for open CI then becoming a fd.io project might be the simplest route.   Most of the participants in discussions around DPDK moving are already fd.io members.
>
> fd.io’s governance is compatible with what we have been discussing.  Should DPDK join fd.io it would, as all fd.io projects, maintain its own internal technical governance.

We discussed this in Dublin. There was a strong preference for keeping DPDK as an independent project. Dave summarized this in the minutes:

"I said that Red Hat is happy with the technical operation of the
project, and we don't want to see the community disrupted with toolset
changes - and it's possible to work with projects like fd.io, OVS, and
OPNFV to do testing of DPDK.

Representatives from Brocade, Cavium, and Linaro all voiced a preference
for a stand-alone lightweight project"

Tim

* Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
@ 2017-01-17 23:46         ` Vincent JARDIN
From: Vincent JARDIN @ 2017-01-17 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: O'Driscoll, Tim, Ed Warnicke, Jaswinder Singh
  Cc: Michael Dolan, Ed Warnicke (eaw), moving

Le 17/01/2017 à 23:28, O'Driscoll, Tim a écrit :
> "I said that Red Hat is happy with the technical operation of the
> project, and we don't want to see the community disrupted with toolset
> changes - and it's possible to work with projects like fd.io, OVS, and
> OPNFV to do testing of DPDK.
>
> Representatives from Brocade, Cavium, and Linaro all voiced a preference
> for a stand-alone lightweight project"

+1 too

DPDK is consumed by many projects and it was proven to be a successful
model. By launching DPDK.org, 6WIND wanted to stimulate DPDK to be a
reference for many consumers of IOs (FD.io, ovs-dpdk, moongen, ostinato,
etc.) on any HW.

Since day 1 of DPDK.org, DPDK allows to sustain any innovations because
of a strong intent to be agnostic.

* Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
@ 2017-01-18 17:11           ` George Zhao
From: George Zhao @ 2017-01-18 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Vincent JARDIN',
	O'Driscoll, Tim, Ed Warnicke, Jaswinder Singh
  Cc: Michael Dolan, Ed Warnicke (eaw), moving

Question: Will there be a f2f discussion of this topic during Open source leadership summit by Linux foundation?

Thanks,
George

@ 2017-01-18 17:14             ` Michael Dolan
From: Michael Dolan @ 2017-01-18 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Zhao
  Cc: Vincent JARDIN, O'Driscoll, Tim, Ed Warnicke,
	Jaswinder Singh, Ed Warnicke (eaw),
	moving

I can explore finding a room if there will be enough people present. Who
plans to be there?

---

@ 2017-01-18 17:19               ` George Zhao
From: George Zhao @ 2017-01-18 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)